Sunday, May 12, 2013

Running Middle Earth

OK, I'll admit it. I could stand to lose a few pound.  And going to the gym is a chore rather than a pleasure for me.  I'm always searching for motivation.  So I decided to give up on the gym and  run across Middle-earth.  Well, I'll still be on the treadmill, but I'll be tracking my progress across Middle-earth, starting at Bag End and hopefully one day reaching Mount Doom.  I started with three miles yesterday.  That puts me over the Hill and across the Water, through Hobbiton and a ways down the Bywater Road.  Given that Bilbo ran this stretch as he hurried to catch up with the dwarves..well, all I can say is that Prof. Tolkien must have exaggerated how out-of-shape Bilbo was.  Or maybe the Shire is less hot and humid than my gym.

I'll give updates at major landmarks. But right now, Buckland is looking very far away.



No comments: