Monday, July 22, 2013

The Road Home from Historicon: Manassas

My money spent and drained both physically and emotionally, I left Historicon early Monday morning.  With a few hours of "me time" to spare, I decided to drive ten miles out of my way to visit the battlefield of Bull Run/Manassas.  I visited the Fredericksburg battlefield a few years back and was gravely disappointed by how the town had encroached upon Maryes' Heights, where so many Union soldiers had died.  To my delight, Manassas was pristine, uncluttered by modern intrusions and only minimally cluttered with later memorials.  The park service has done a good job with both interpretation and maintaining the battlefield in its 1861/2 condition.  Kudos to the Park Service and the uniformed interpreters who were there at 8:30 on a Sunday morning!  

I love the countryside in this part of Virginia.  It's almost impossible to take a bad photo.





Stonewall Jackson contemplating what has to be the most butt-ugly battlefield monument I have ever seen.  This must be Union vengeance for two defeats at this site.


No comments: